Friends of the ATC announces 2021 internships in Nicaragua
Friends of the ATC is a solidarity network with the Asociación de Trabajadores del Campo (ATC, or Rural Workers Association), an organization of struggle that defends the rural workers and peoples of Nicaragua. We organize at local and international levels to spread awareness, build solidarity, and facilitate support for the struggles and initiatives of the ATC and the international movement La Vía Campesina. In the spirit of internationalism, we believe in the necessity of supporting ongoing struggles for justice in our own communities and around the world.
The Friends of the ATC, in collaboration with the ATC, is pleased to announce an internship program for 2021 for committed students, organizers and internationalists to learn through the lens of the ATC and its base about peasant movements, life in the countryside, and revolutionary Nicaragua.
We are offering in-person and virtual internships; please read the following announcement in full to understand the requirements and commitments of this internship. Thank you for your interest!
Interested in applying for this internship? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an internship application today. We will receive and review applications on a rolling basis.
Key internship information:
Friends of ATC internships in 2021 will be offered in both virtual and in-person Nicaragua formats.
Activities: This internship is part of a larger process of constructing and strengthening solidarity with the ATC, Nicaragua and movements for liberation through the Friends of the ATC solidarity network. We organize the internship into a few main areas:
1. Study sessions: Weekly study sessions covering central concepts to our organizations and struggles, directly from movement leaders, academic allies, and Friends of the ATC.
2. Direct contributions to Friends of the ATC projects: Each intern will carry out tasks in support of different Friends of ATC projects, this can include:
- ATC historic memory project
- Internationalism project
- Studies on peasant agriculture and food sovereignty
- Communications: videos, graphic design, articles
- Transcriptions, translations, and subtitling publications
- Popular art
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Organizing online events
3. In Nicaragua: For those who complete the internship in Nicaragua, we organize additional activities focused on taking in the heart and soul of the ATC and Nicaragua. This includes territorial visits to ATC federations, schools, farms, and other projects; homestays with rural families; volunteer work on family farms or in ATC schools; and other exchanges and visits to understand Nicaraguan history, context, social programs, etc. Read about previous in-person internship experiences on our blog.
These will be accompanied by weekly meetings for internship planning, follow-up and evaluation.
Solidarity Agreement: All interns will develop a solidarity agreement with the internship coordination team that will detail specific responsibilities and commitments.
Length and time commitments: 3 – 12 months, 10-40 hours/week
Minimum internship requirements:
- Commitment to international solidarity and social justice
- Commitment to working in a collective / good team player
- Patience & flexibility especially in intercultural contexts
- Internships in Nicaragua: Comfortable & openness to living and working in rural environments
- Internships in Nicaragua: Conversational Spanish
Applications: Accepted on a rolling basis
Internship Costs: Internships are unpaid. We ask Nicaragua-based interns to pay a solidarity donation to help cover internship costs which will be worked out on a case-by-case basis.
How do I apply? Email email@example.com for an internship application.
view the PDF document