Friends of the ATC announces 2022 internships in Nicaragua
Friends of the ATC is a solidarity network with the Asociación de Trabajadores del Campo (ATC, or Rural Workers Association), an organization of struggle that defends the rural workers and peoples of Nicaragua. We organize at local and international levels to spread awareness, build solidarity, and facilitate support for the struggles and initiatives of the ATC and the international movement La Vía Campesina. In the spirit of internationalism, we believe in the necessity of supporting ongoing struggles for justice in our own communities and around the world.
The Friends of the ATC, in collaboration with the ATC, is pleased to announce an internship program for 2022 for committed students, organizers and internationalists to learn through the lens of the ATC and its base about peasant movements, life in the countryside, and revolutionary Nicaragua.
We are offering in-person and virtual internships; please read this document in full to understand the requirements and commitments of this internship. Thank you for your interest!
Interested in applying for this internship? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an internship application today. We will receive and review applications on a rolling basis.
Friends of ATC internships in 2022 will be offered both virtually and in-person in Nicaragua.
Minimum internship requirements:
- Previous participation in Friends of ATC activity (delegation, brigade, Ben Linder Solidarity School, etc.) or previous contact with the organization; exceptions made only for special cases.
- Commitment to international solidarity and social justice
- Commitment to working in a collective / good team player
- Respect for the ATC’s “organicity” and commitment to follow process of organizational consultation through internship coordinator
- Patience & flexibility especially in intercultural contexts
- Internships in Nicaragua: Comfortable & openness to living and working in rural environments
- Internships in Nicaragua: Conversational Spanish
NOTE: If you are interested in becoming a future intern but do not fit these requirements, please take a look at our delegation opportunities. As of March 2022, there are brigades/delegations scheduled for June 2022, July 2022, and one final delegation for late 2022.
Activities: This internship is part of a larger process of constructing and strengthening solidarity with the ATC, Nicaragua and movements for liberation through the Friends of the ATC solidarity network. We organize the internship in a few main areas:
1.) Formación/training: Interns will participate in the Ben Linder Solidarity School (two-hour sessions each Saturday scheduled for late July – September) unless a previous exception is made. This is a key part of the training process.
2.) Direct contributions to Friends of the ATC projects: Each intern will carry out tasks in support of different Friends of ATC projects. As of March 2022, the tasks needed include:
Ben Linder Solidarity School support
- Updating application, recruitment, & review of applications
- Prepare weekly emails of course materials
- Coordinate volunteers for: course notes, interpretation, recordings, video processing
- Course systematization
Interpretation – translation
- Simultaneous interpretation of meetings, courses, etc on zoom
- Interpretation during in-person activities in Nicaragua
- Translation of Friends of ATC publications, Ben Linder Solidarity School course materials
- Creation of informational videos that share ATC experiences in Nicaragua
- Design social media content
- Write articles for Friends of ATC blog
- Give support to ongoing historic memory project
- Create materials for fundraising campaigns
Community / farming accompaniment (in-person only)
- Accompany farming tasks at agroecological parcels coordinated by the ATC and/or IALA
- Organize in-person or virtual speaking tours/university visits in the US
3.) In Nicaragua: For those who complete the internship in Nicaragua, we organize additional activities focused on taking in the heart and soul of the ATC and Nicaragua. This includes territorial visits to ATC federations, schools, farms, and other projects; homestays with rural families; volunteer work on family farms or in ATC schools; and other exchanges and visits to understand Nicaraguan history, context, social programs, etc.
Solidarity Agreement: All interns will develop a solidarity agreement with the internship coordination team that will detail specific responsibilities and commitments.
Length and time commitments: 3 – 6 months within the May 15th – December 15th, 2022 time period
Applications: Accepted on a rolling basis but not after September 1st, 2022 for the 2022 internship program.
Internship Costs: Internships are unpaid. We ask Nicaragua-based interns to pay a solidarity donation to help cover internship costs which will be worked out on a case-by-case basis.
How do I apply? Email email@example.com for an internship application.